…….I’ve been rich and I’ve been poor. Believe me, rich is better……. (Mae West)
Research consistently suggests that Republicans are happier with their lives; this appears to in spite of the fact that they report more nightmares. This would suggest that it is better to repress emotions (a strategy which is more likely to lead to nightmares) if you want to be happy. Perhaps there are other explanations. (Among other things, Democrats would be less likely to be satisfied with the status quo, and thus more “unhappy.”)
Personally, for me the pursuit of happiness has never been a major goal. (Hey, I live in Fairbanks. As I write this it is -20.) The pursuit of meaning, yes.
This difference also may be an issue of whether one is extroverted (where external goals are more important), or introverted, where internal experiences are more important. Further posts, at some point, be about Jungian typology .
Any comments on this topic would be appreciated.
From Pew’s Research
Well, Republicans are different from Democrats. How so? Let us count the ways.
* They have more money.
* They have more friends.
* They are more religious.
* They are healthier.
* They are more likely to be married.
* They like their communities better.
* They like their jobs more.
* They are more satisfied with their family life.
* They like the weather better.
* They have fewer financial worries.
* They’re more likely to see themselves doing better in life than their parents did.
* They’re more likely to feel that individuals – rather than outside forces – control their own success or failure.
* They have more of what they most value in life. (No, it’s not money) .